The quintessential holiday appetizer, 1st course or salad, all piled into a tiny, portable glass.
It’s a traveling appetizer that works as well at home as it does on the road.
Seafood – check
Crab – double check
Greens – check
Red garnish – check
Elegant Holiday Spirit – check (not that kind of spirit, but hopefully you have one in hand)
When the meal is heavy, the first course should be light.
When it’s a party meal, there should be something festive, tasty and fun that is healthy, filling and unforgettable.
3/4 lb Dungeness crab meat, rinsed, gently squeezed dry and patted with kitchen towel
Lemon Juice, approximately from one full lemon
Fresh ground pepper to taste
1 ear of corn
1/4 cup fresh, full fat, Greek style or local yogurt
1-2 oz good quality blue cheese (I used Maytag Blue), or more to taste
1 Avocado, peeled, seed removed, diced and doused with lemon juice, sea salt and pepper
2-3 green onions, chopped
2 TB mixed fresh herbs such as thyme, parsley, savory, basil
1/4 cup very thinly sliced fennel, diced and doused with lemon juice, sea salt and pepper
Seeds from 1/2 pomegranate
Zest of 1/2 orange (approximately 1 TB)
2. Wrap the corn in plastic wrap and microwave for 1 minute. Alternatively, steam or boil in water until just crisp tender. Cut the corn from the cob.
3. Put the corn in your Vitamix or food processor. Add some pepper and pinch of sea salt along with the yogurt. Process until the consistency of cream.
4. Put a few spoonfuls of the corn creme, along with 1/2 of the blue cheese in a medium bowl and blend with the back of a spoon. Add lemon juice and additional blue cheese to taste.
5. Mix in 1/2 the avocado, green onion/herbs, fennel, 1/2 the pomegranate seeds and orange zest.
6. Season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice as needed.
7. Assemble the cups by first filling each with a spoonful of the corn creme, followed by a little chopped arugula, then the crab mixture.
8. Sprinkle some of the remaining pomgranite seeds on each.
9. If serving later, cover each glass cup with plastic wrap and refrigerate until use.
10. To serve: Unwrap the plastic and top each with a few sprigs arugula, squeeze of lemon and dusting of chopped bacon.
I got the glass cups at Crate & Barrel a few years back. They came six to a box and were inexpensive plus came with unlimited possibilities. You could easily swap the glass cups for leaves of endives for serving. Add more avocado if you like. When I say “douse it in lemon juice”, I mean, squeeze fresh lemon juice over and sprinkle with salt and fresh pepper.
Keywords: Holiday Appetizers, Easy Appetizers, Crab Appetizers, Individual Appetizer Cups,